A maxi dress is an absolutely must have in any summer wardrobe. This article will show you how to wear this warm weather essential and how to accessorize so you look amazing. Guest post by Kelly Dunning.
Bright, colourful, flowing and very feminine, the maxi dress is one of those articles of clothing that will never go out of style. It is perfect for a hot day on the beach, its long and breezy fabric keeps you cool and its classic lines give you effortless chic. A maxi dress creates a very glamorous look, with a very minimal amount of effort. It is also very forgiving and flattering to every body type. A pretty maxi dress can work for the beach with sandals and a bikini, or can be dressed up for a night out.
If you are wondering how to choose the right maxi-dress for you and how to accessorize to complete the look, read on for some summer fashion advice:
- Taller girls should go for a dress with a fitted bodice, rather than one with an empire waist, to avoid the losing their shape under too much fabric.
- If you have a wider waist and want to look slimmer, choose a style with an A-line skirt, which will flare out from under your bust and make your waist and hips look smaller.
- If you are a more petite woman, don’t choose very large prints or patterns as they will swamp your small frame. Instead, go for a smaller and more delicate pattern or a solid colour.
- Always choose a dress with the right length. If the dress touches the ground it will drag round and ruin the fabric.
- When it comes to accessorizing your maxi dress with jewellery, bigger is always better. Small and delicate necklaces just don’t get noticed against a maxi dress, and so you need to wear bold and colourful jewellery to accentuate the funky beach goddess vibe. Try colourful beads, ethnic styles, thick wooden or metal bangles, and hoop or feather earrings.
- The big and bold rule also applies to the bag that you carry with your maxi dress. Try a large and colourful shoulder bag in straw or bright fabric.
- When it comes to shoes, wear flip flops or pretty flat sandals if you are spending the day outside on the beach. To make your maxi dress more glamorous for a night out, switch to a pair of high heeled strappy sandals with a bit of sparkle.
- If you want to wear a jacket over your maxi dress, avoid anything long because this will add too much length to the outfit. Instead, contrast the flowing fabric of your dress with a cropped jacket or waistcoat.
- If you are wearing your maxi dress out for an evening meal, you can wear a silky pashmina or scarf around your shoulders to keep warm and to add some classic glamour.
- Of course, don’t forget the ultimate maxi dress accessory, the sunglasses! Glamorous oversized Aviator styles are big right now, and sporty wrap-around shades are a definite no-no as they are too sporty and do not mix with this girly style.
So next time you are hitting the beach, the restaurant, or a hot date, why not try the flowing goddess look and slip on a pretty and colourful maxi dress?
Pictured: Littlewoods Europe South Crinkle-Effect Maxi Dress €32.00 to €35.00
About the author
Kelly Dunning is a travel writer with a passion for art, culture, literature and the great outdoors, with a deep love of adventure.
“Travel writing is my way of learning more about the world and sharing its wonders with others.“